This Vegan Biryani recipe is great for a midweek supper and is warming and comforting, just the thing you need for a cold evening. It’s rice based and is great when you’re feeding a few people at once.
You Will Need: (Serves 4 Vegan Biryani)
- 200g Basmati Rice, cooked
- 1 Cauliflower, cut into florets
- 1 Small Courgette, chopped
- 2 Large Potatoes, cut into eighths
- 100g Red Lentils, washed
- 1 Onion, sliced
- 6 Mushrooms, halved
- 1 Large Red Repper, diced
- 4 Cloves of Garlic, crushed
- 1 Chilli, chopped
- 1 Large Carrot, peeled and spiralized
- 2 handfuls of Frozen Peas
- Vegetable/Olive oil
- 2 tsp Curry Powder, as hot or mild as you like
- 1 tsp Ground Cumin
- To Serve: A little Coriander and some Cashew Nuts
The first thing to do is get a large saucepan and get it on the heat with a little olive oil in there. ]
Next, add in your spices, onion, pepper, garlic, chilli, potato, courgette, mushrooms and potatoes. Give it a good stir round on a medium heat for 5 mins.
Now add the lentils and the carrot tweels before adding 200ml of boiling water (or enough so that all the veg and lentils are covered), and leave to simmer for 20 mins with the lid on.
Next, add the peas and stir in the coriander and then stir in the rice. Make sure the rice is cooked through completely before serving.
Serve with a few crushed cashew nuts on top.